What is the importance of Class 8 Math?
Students of this age will be curious about the world around them, and be able to understand and appreciate how many of the Math concepts that they have learned from a young age are applied in the real world. Class 8 Math introduces students to practical applications of mathematics, enabling them to make sense of and navigate the world around them.
In Class 8, students are expected to start developing and honing their critical thinking, logical reasoning, and problem-solving skills. Class 8 Math challenges students to analyze problems, think logically and find solutions using mathematical principles and techniques.
Class 8 Math serves as a stepping stone for board examinations or standardized tests that students may encounter in the future. Understanding and performing well in Class 8 Math is crucial for academic progress and achieving higher scores in these examinations.
What is covered in Class 8 Math?
The specific content of Class 8 Math varies depending on the education system and curriculum followed, which will differ region-wise, and according to the different school boards. However, here is a listing of the common core topics covered in Class 8 Math, across all school boards and regions:
- Number theory: Properties of numbers, divisibility tests, prime and composite numbers, and solving problems related to divisibility.
- Rational Numbers: Definition of rational numbers, Identifying them by their decimal expansions, Operations on rational numbers, representation on the number line, and properties of rational numbers.
- Linear Equations in One Variable: Solving linear equations, word problems based on linear equations, and practical applications.
- Understanding Quadrilaterals: Properties and classification of quadrilaterals, special types of quadrilaterals like squares, rectangles, parallelograms, rhombus, and trapezium.
- Practical Geometry: Construction of geometrical figures like triangles, quadrilaterals, and circles using a ruler and compass.
- Data Handling: Collection, organization, and presentation of data using bar graphs, pie charts, and histograms. Measures of central tendency like mean, median, and mode.
- Squares and Square Roots: Properties of squares, square roots, and their applications.
- Cubes and Cube Roots: Properties of cubes, cube roots, and their applications.
- Comparing Quantities: Understanding ratios, proportions, percentages, and their applications in solving problems related to discounts, interest, etc.
- Algebraic Expressions and Identities: Introduction to algebraic expressions, simplification, and evaluation of algebraic expressions, and identities.
- Visualizing Solid Shapes: Identification and properties of various 3D shapes like cubes, cuboids, cylinders, spheres, cones, and prisms.
- Exponents and Powers: Laws of exponents, simplifying expressions involving exponents, and scientific notation.
- Direct and Inverse Proportions: Understanding direct and inverse proportions, and solving problems based on them.
- Factorization: Finding the factors of algebraic expressions, factorization using common factors, and factorization by grouping.
- Introduction to Graphs: Representation and interpretation of data using graphs, types of graphs like bar graphs, line graphs, and pie charts.
- Probability: Understanding the basic definition of probability, learning about experiments and outcomes, sample space, and finding the probability of different kinds of events.
How to maximize learning Class 8 Math?
The fundamental principles of Algebra such as the distributive property, simplification of expressions, and solving linear equations are introduced in Class 8 Math. These are essential for solving Quadratic Equations, taught in the higher grades. Without a solid foundation in Algebra, students may find it challenging to understand and solve Quadratic Equations effectively. The same is applicable to other advanced topics covered in the higher grades of Class 9 and 10.
Students of Class 8 Math must maximize learning so as to ensure a solid foundation and deep understanding of the basic concepts. There are several tried and tested ways to do this.
- Attend Classes Regularly
- Practice Regularly
- Solve a Variety of Problems
- Seek Clarification
- Utilize Resources
- Review and Revise
- Apply Math in Real-Life Situations
- Stay Organized and Manage Time
We at PurpleTutor can help students in all these ways.
How can PurpleTutor help students of Class 8 Math excel?
PurpleTutor is a versatile online learning platform imparting quality education in Math and Coding. We offer comprehensive courses and resources to help students of Class 8 Math excel.
PurpleTutor can help students prepare for Class 8 Math in these ways:
Regular Classes – By attending the online sessions regularly, students will be in constant touch with the subject.
Regular Practice – We provide plenty of worksheets on each topic, on which students can improve their problem-solving skills and the speed of their calculations.
Solving a Variety of Problems – Our online sessions and worksheets expose students to different kinds of problems on each concept, so that students learn to identify, categorize and solve unseen problems easily.
Seeking Clarification – Students are encouraged to clarify doubts and seek guidance from their tutors, who are dedicated to solving the queries.
Valuable Resources – Our Math courses incorporate exciting online tools and virtual Math manipulatives for demonstrating abstract concepts clearly and in a fun, visually appealing way.
Review and Revision – We have assessments at each module end and provide feedback to students and parents, and help them improve their performance.
Application of Math to Real-Life Situations – The course content wherever possible, illustrates concepts by showing their practical applications in the real world.
Organizing and Management of Time – Students can make optimum use of their time, by structuring their schedules around their school and online classes, and making sure their assignments are done regularly.
To summarize, PurpleTutor is completely committed to enhancing the academic performance of Class 8 Math students.
Detailed Course Content and Duration
You can explore the detailed content of our Class 8 Math courses here –
Grade 8 Math- Duration – 100 hours, Click here for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there a free demo class?
A: Yes. At PurpleTutor, we give one free demo class, which can be booked from the booking link. We encourage you to take the class and assess the experience.
2. What are the topics in class 8 Math?
A. The topics are Rational Numbers, Exponents and Powers, Squares, Cubes, Square and Cube roots, Polynomials, Linear Equations in One Variable, Triangles, Coordinate Geometry, Circles, Mensuration, and Probability.
3. Is Class 8 Math Easy?
A. Class 8 Math is the starting point for the advanced topics taught in the higher grades, so yes, it is easy, since this will be the introductory content, which is basic, and easy to understand. Having said that, it is still important to constantly review and practice.
4. Will I get personal attention in the Math online classes?
A. Yes, we have only one student in a session. So, you will get the complete attention of your tutor.
5. Will I get enough practice in the Math online classes?
A. PurpleTutor provides plenty of worksheets and assignments on all course topics in addition to textbook exercises. So, yes, you will get sufficient practice.
6. Do you conduct tests and mock exams?
A. At the end of every topic, the student’s understanding of the concepts is assessed.
7. Will taking online classes for class 8 Math be better than in-person Math coaching classes?
A. Yes, if you also factor in the time spent traveling to in-person classes., and also consider the fact that offline coaching classes tend to have many students in a single batch.
8. What is the prerequisite for enrolling in the class 8 Math online course?
A. Before enrolling in a Class 8 Math online course, it is recommended that students have completed Class 7 Math and have a good grasp of the following topics: Quadrilaterals, Triangles, Coordinate Geometry.