List of Mathematics Competition
Here are some math competitions for kids to consider:
1. Math Kangaroo
Math Kangaroo is an annual mathematics competition for students in grades 1-12. The competition consists of multiple-choice questions in areas such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. The questions are designed to challenge students’ critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, while also making the competition fun and engaging.
The competition is typically held in March each year, and students can participate through their schools or as individuals. Students who perform well in the competition can receive certificates, medals, and other awards.
2. American Mathematics Competitions (AMC)
It is a series of mathematics contests for students in middle and high school in the United States and other countries. The AMC offers a range of competitions, starting with the AMC 8 for students in grades 8 and below, and continuing with the AMC 10 and AMC 12 for students in grades 10 and below and 12 and below respectively.
The AMC contests consist of multiple-choice questions that test students’ problem-solving skills in areas such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. The questions are designed to be challenging and to require creative and analytical thinking. The contests are held annually, usually in November for the AMC 8 and in February for the AMC 10 and AMC 12.
3. International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)
IMO is an annual international mathematics competition for high school students. It is one of the most prestigious mathematics competitions in the world and has been held every year since 1959. The IMO is hosted by a different country each year and typically takes place in July.
The problems are designed to require creative and analytical thinking, and often involve advanced mathematical concepts in areas such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. The competition is not just about winning medals, it also offers a unique opportunity for students to connect with other talented young mathematicians from around the world.
MathCounts is a national middle school math competition for students in grades 6-8. It consists of four rounds: the sprint round, target round, team round, and countdown round. The competition culminates in a national championship.
The competitions consist of multiple-choice questions that test students’ problem-solving skills in areas such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. Participating in MathCounts can offer numerous benefits to students, including developing problem-solving skills, building confidence, and fostering a love for mathematics. The program also offers scholarships and other rewards to top-performing students.
5. Continental Mathematics League
This is a series of math competitions for students in grades 2-9. The competition consists of six tests, each with 35 multiple-choice questions. The CML offers five levels of competition. Each level consists of five meets, with each meet consisting of six challenging problems that test students’ problem-solving skills in areas such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry.
The CML also offers the Pythagorean Contest, which is a special competition for students in grades 6-8 that focuses specifically on geometry. The Pythagorean Contest consists of three meets, with each meet consisting of six geometry problems.
6. Noetic Learning Math Contest (NLMC)
NLMC is a semi-annual math competition for students in grades 2-8. The competition consists of 20 multiple-choice questions and is designed to challenge students and promote problem-solving skills. The competition consists of 20 multiple-choice questions that test students’ problem-solving skills in areas such as number theory, algebra, geometry, and logic. The questions are designed to be challenging and to require creative and analytical thinking.
In addition to the NLMC, Noetic Learning offers other online math programs and competitions for students, including the Online Math League, the Math Olympiad Summer Program, and the Math Challenge program.
7. Purple Comet Math Meet
The Purple Comet Math Meet is an online mathematics competition for middle and high school students that challenges them to solve problems in a collaborative environment. The competition consists of a team round and an individual round, with each round consisting of 20 multiple-choice questions. The competition is free to enter, and registration is open to all middle and high school students.
8. American Regions Mathematics League (ARML)
The ARML is a national mathematics competition for high school students that tests their math skills in algebra, geometry, and other areas of mathematics. The competition consists of both team and individual rounds, that test students’ problem-solving skills in areas such as algebra, geometry, combinatorics, and number theory.
9. International Math Olympiad for Elementary School (IMOES)
The IMOES is a mathematics competition for students in grades 3-6 that challenges them to solve problems in geometry, algebra, and other areas of mathematics. The IMOES consists of a series of multiple-choice questions and is held online, and students from around the world can participate. The top-performing students are recognized with awards and certificates.
10. International Math Contest (IMC)
The IMC is a competition for students in grades 4-12 that tests their mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills. It covers a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, and number theory. The competition is held in several rounds, including individual, team, and relay rounds. The top-performing students are recognized with awards and certificates.
Participating in the IMC can offer numerous benefits to students, including developing critical thinking skills, and fostering a love for mathematics.
Online Mathematics Competition
Mathematics competitions are also held online, making them more accessible to students worldwide. Here are some steps to participate in an online mathematics competition:
- Find an online competition: Search for online mathematics competitions that are suitable for your level and interests. Many competitions are now being held virtually, and you can find them through a simple online search
- Register for the competition: Once you have found an online competition, you will need to register for it. Registration typically involves filling out a form and paying a fee
- Prepare for the competition: Students can prepare for online mathematics competitions by studying mathematical concepts and practicing solving problems. You can use online resources, textbooks, and study groups to improve your skills
- Take the online competition: On the day of the competition, you will need to log in to the competition platform and follow the instructions. You will typically be given a set amount of time to solve a series of problems, and you may need to submit your answers online
- Reflect on the experience: After the competition, take some time to reflect on your experience. Think about what you learned and how you can improve your skills for future competitions
Participating in online mathematics competitions can be a valuable experience. It provides opportunities to develop skills and compete with students from around the world.
Benefits of Participating in Mathematics Competitions
Participating in mathematics competitions can offer numerous benefits to students. Here are some of the benefits:
- Develops critical thinking skills: Mathematics competitions also help students develop their critical thinking skills by teaching them how to analyze problems, break them down into smaller parts, and develop solutions.
- Enhances mathematical knowledge: Competing in mathematics competitions can help students deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts and expand their knowledge beyond what is typically taught in the classroom.
- Builds confidence: Successfully solving complex mathematical problems in a competition can help build a student’s confidence and self-esteem.
- Fosters a competitive spirit: Mathematics competitions can instill a competitive spirit in students, motivating them to work harder and strive for excellence.
- Provides opportunities for recognition: Winning or placing in a mathematics competition can bring recognition to a student’s mathematical achievements, potentially opening doors to future opportunities.
- Develops teamwork skills: Some mathematics competitions are team-based, encouraging students to work together and develop teamwork skills.
- Offers scholarships and other prizes: Some mathematics competitions offer scholarships, cash prizes, and other rewards to winners. This works as a great support in a student’s education.
PurpleTutor is excited to introduce Math classes to develop strong mathematics skills for kids and help them love the subject.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is there a free demo class?
A: Yes. At PurpleTutor, we give one free demo class, which can be booked from the booking link. We encourage you to take the class and assess the experience.
2. Can I select my schedule for the classes?
A: Yes. We have flexible days and times. You can select any time and any day that suits your timetable.
3. What are the fees and charges?
A: We suggest you take a complimentary trial class and discuss the requirements with our teachers and counsellors. Once this is done, the requirement can be finalized and subsequently the pricing.
4. Do you follow the school curriculum?
A. Yes, of course we do! We cover the entire grade curriculum in an average of 100 -200 hours that are spread over one academic year. Some children may take less than or more than 100 hours for the same, so the duration is customized as per the individual requirement.
5. What do you require for learning Maths from PurpleTutor?
A: It is necessary to have a laptop or computer with a webcam and a stable internet connection.
6. Do you have assessments during the course?
A. Yes, we assess the student periodically during the progress of classes and give feedback on the student’s performance.
7. What about worksheets & practice problems?
A. Yes, for each grade we have a number of worksheets and practice problems that we make available to the students. Our method teaching ensures conceptual understand while changing context of the problem.
8. Do you provide after-school & homework support?
A. Yes, depending on the requirements, our instructors ensure that the students’ needs are addressed to.
9. Will you prepare my child for exams?
A. Yes, if needed by the student we will take extra sessions to prepare the child for the exams.
10. What certificate will my child get? Will my child get any certificate after completing the course?
A. The student gets a course completion certificate from PurpleTutor after completing the course for the grade he/she has registered for. Our courses and certificates are accredited by STEM.org which is a STEM education research and credentialing organization in USA.
11. What are the courses that PurpleTutor offers?
A: PurpleTutor provides Cutting edge courses to make the student’s future ready. We offer maths courses across the grades from elementary school to high school. Our teachers are vetted through stringent checks to ensure teaching quality levels are very high.
Please visit our courses section for more information or talk to a counsellor. We encourage you to book a complimentary class with us, enjoy & assess the in-class experience. One can also discuss courses with our teachers in-person too during the class.