What is coding? How can students learn coding?
- One of the best ways for a student to learn coding is by attending coding classes. The coding classes could be taken online from home, or the student may choose to take up a coding course at a coding academy, or at school. Many schools offer coding classes as part of their curriculum.
- Students can also attend a coding bootcamp. These are intensive, short-term programs that teach students the skills they need to become good coders.
- There are many free resources available on the internet, such as tutorials and guides, that provide coding training. Coding schools like Khan Academy and others are great resources for learning coding online. Students can take their coding classes free of cost.
- Coding sites like Github, Stack Overflow etc provide a wonderful platform for beginners to clarify doubts and polish their coding skills.
- Coding competitions: Competitive coding is a great and fun way for students to build their coding knowledge. The competition prizes and thrill of competing with their peers will inspire them to perfect their coding skills.
It’s important to remember that to learn coding takes time and effort, but with dedication and persistence, anyone can learn coding, especially if they have expert guidance along the way. The coding journey becomes interesting and easier if the student attends well-structured and interactive coding classes conducted by experienced coding instructors.
That’s where PurpleTutor comes in. We provide a wide spectrum of the best online coding courses covering the most popular and in-demand programming languages. Our coding classes are created and categorized according to different age groups of students. In addition to beginner coding classes which start with block-based coding, we offer advanced coding courses, in which students create their own exciting projects, games, websites and apps.
Why does a student need to learn coding?
Learning to code has become increasingly important in today’s world, where technology plays a significant role in nearly every aspect of our lives. Here are some reasons why a student needs to learn coding:
- Problem-Solving Skills: Coding teaches students how to think logically and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. This skill set can be applied to any area of study or profession.
- Creativity and Innovation: Coding provides a medium for students to express their creativity and explore innovative solutions to problems. It encourages them to experiment, learn from failures, and keep iterating until they find the best solution.
- Digital Literacy: In today’s digital age, it is crucial for students to understand how technology works and how to use it effectively. Coding classes help students develop digital literacy skills, making them more confident and competent users of technology.
- Future-Proofing: Technology is rapidly evolving, and taking coding classes ensure that students are prepared for the future job market. Coding courses equip them with the skills and knowledge needed to adapt to new technologies and stay ahead of the curve.
- Career Opportunities: With the increasing demand for technology professionals, coding courses open up many career opportunities in fields such as software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and more.
Overall, coding is an essential skill that can benefit students in many ways, from career opportunities to problem-solving and creativity.
Which will you learn in our coding courses?
PurpleTutor offers coding courses across 4 different student age groups as follows:
Ages 6-8 years
Ages 9-11 years
Ages 12-15 years
Ages 15+ years
The coding courses in each age group are given below along with a short summary of what students will learn in each course:
Ages 6-8 years(Little Champs Course)
- BASIC PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS – Understanding basic concepts of programming such as commands, sequencing, algorithm, and code through unplugged activities and puzzles.
- ADVANCED PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS – Exploration of advanced concepts of programming and how to use them in building personalized projects for visual storytelling and games.
- BASIC ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT– These coding classes cover the basics of UI/UX design and developing simple apps, using the Thunkable interface.
- ADVANCE ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT – Experimenting with the creation of advanced apps such as game apps, quiz apps, etc.
- SCRATCH AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE – Experiencing Scratch programming interface using a movie-making project and a game project. Students are then introduced to the basics of Artificial intelligence and learn how to use the machine learning models to create projects in the Scratch platform.
- SPACE TECHNOLOGY: In these coding classes, students unravel the mysteries of Space by building fascinating games and prototype models based on the concepts of space.
Age 10 to 11 Years (Young Learners Course)
- BASIC PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS – Developing an understanding of programming concepts such as commands, sequencing, algorithms, and code through unplugged activities.
- 2D ANIMATION AND GAME DESIGN – Creating beautiful landscapes, and drawings as well as developing animations and interactive games.
- ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT – Designing UI/UX for simple Android apps using Thunkable.
- ADVANCED ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT – Experimenting with the creation of advanced apps such as game apps, quiz apps, etc.
- SCRATCH AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE – In this coding course, students learn how to use the Scratch programming interface. The coding classes include movie-making and game projects. Students are then introduced to the basics of Artificial intelligence and learn how to use the machine learning models to create projects in the Scratch platform.
- INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON PROGRAMMING – Learning Python programming using blocks and gradually shifting to text-based programming. Creating drawings and games using Python Turtle Commands
- SPACE TECHNOLOGY – Unravel mysteries of Space by building fascinating games and prototype models based on the concepts of space
- WEB DEVELOPMENT AND CYBER SECURITY – In these coding classes, students will create their own website using HTML commands and style it using CSS. The coding classes in this coding course also explore safe techniques to be followed while working on the internet.
- INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE – Learn how to run basic math operations to analyze data and represent it using different types of charts and infographics. With Python Pandas library commands students will learn to create tables, insert data in them and print them.
Ages 12-15 years(Early Achievers Course)
- INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON PROGRAMMING – During these coding classes the students will learn the basic concepts of Python and code programs using a text-based editor. All programs are written using the Python Turtle library.
- ADVANCED PYTHON PROGRAMMING – Students will explore advanced Python concepts such as data types, type casting, basic data structures like tuples, lists and dictionaries.
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE – Students are introduced to AI and Machine Learning.They will create voice, image and text recognition projects using teachable machines and Scratch. They then explore deeper into how computers visualize images and create various image and video manipulation projects using the CV2 library of Python. They also create a machine learning model for emotion detection, using Python code.
- ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT – The students will explore UI/UX design basics, and design and develop simple apps like language translator, text to speech convertor, color mixer etc, using the Thunkable interface.
- WEB DEVELOPMENT – Students will learn how to create webpages using HTML commands and style them using CSS. They will learn how to make websites interactive. Students will make their own personal website that can be hosted on the internet.
- 3D ANIMATION AND GAME DESIGN – Students will learn the basics of 3d designing in the Roblox studio coding classes. They will create 3d objects, scenes, animations and a maze game, using commands of LUA programming script.
- DATA SCIENCE – PYTHON – Students will work with Google Sheets and Forms to collect and store data. They will learn how to use the Python Numpy module to analyze data. Students will explore the Python Panda library commands to create dataframes. They will learn how to read data from the CSV file and how to visually represent the data using Python Matplotlib library.
- SPACE TECHNOLOGY – Students will learn to build 3D models and simulations of the functionalities, based on the concepts of space and the technology that is used for it. This coding course offers exposure to Tech-driven projects in 3D.
Ages 15+ years(Young Professionals Course)
- PYTHON BASICS – Students will reinforce their knowledge of the core Python programming concepts, during these coding classes. They will get hands-on experience on activities to apply their understanding of basic data types, conditionals, loops, typecasting, basic data types, functions and variables.
- PYTHON DATA STRUCTURES – I – Students will explore advanced data structures of Python namely lists, dictionaries, tuples, strings, stacks and queues. they will be given practice to write code on how to manipulate data in these data structures using python functions.
- PYTHON DATA STRUCTURES – II – Students will learn how to apply Binary and Linear search algorithms for searching elements. They will also learn how to use Insertion and bubble sort algorithms to sort data.
- DATA SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALS WITH PYTHON – Students will learn how to import and use the math, random and statistics Python libraries that are used in Data Science. In these coding classes, they will also learn about Object Oriented Programming and how to apply it.
- DATA SCIENCE WITH PYTHON -Students will learn to apply statistics module functions on data. They will work to organize and manipulate data in arrays, series and data frames using NumPy. They will also explore the Matplotlib library to represent data using different graphs.
- INTRODUCTION TO ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND MACHINE LEARNING – Students will be introduced to AI and then explore the applications, limitations, biases, ethics and future of AI. They will gain understanding of the basic AI terms such as supervised learning, unsupervised learning, deep learning and neural networks.
Course Content, Duration and Certificate
To view the detailed course content for each course, please click on the course name. The number of sessions for each coding course is given in the Duration column. Each session lasts for an hour.
Students will be eligible to get a certificate at the end of each of the given coding courses.
Ages 6-8 years (Little Champs Course)
|SL. No.||Course Name||Duration(hrs)|
|1,2||BASIC PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS + ADVANCED PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS||30 (10+20)|
|3, 4||BASIC ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT + ADVANCE ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT||20 (10+10)|
|5||SCRATCH AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE||30|
Age 9-11 years (Young Learners Course)
|SL. No.||Course Name||Duration(hrs)|
|1||BASIC PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS||10|
|2||2D ANIMATION AND GAME DESIGN||20|
|3,4||ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT + ADVANCED ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT||20 (10+10)|
|5||SCRATCH AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE||50|
|6||INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON PROGRAMMING||20|
|7||ADVANCE PYTHON PROGRAMMING||30|
|8||3D ANIMATION AND GAME DESIGN||40|
|10||WEB DEVELOPMENT AND CYBER SECURITY||40|
|11||INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE||30|
Ages 12-15 years (Early Achievers Course)
|SL. No.||Course Name||Duration(hrs)|
|2||INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON PROGRAMMING||20|
|3||ADVANCED PYTHON PROGRAMMING||30|
|5||ANDROID APP DEVELOPMENT||25|
|7||3D ANIMATION AND GAME DESIGN||40|
|8||DATA SCIENCE – PYTHON||45|
Ages 15+ years (Young Professionals Course)
|SL. No.||Course Name||Duration(hrs)|
|2||PYTHON DATA STRUCTURES||40|
|3||DATA SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALS WITH PYTHON + DATA SCIENCE WITH PYTHON||45 (20 + 25)|
|4||INTRODUCTION TO ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND MACHINE LEARNING||14|
- For the majority of the coding courses, there are no coding prerequisites needed, since the course will start with the very basics before moving on to the core concepts.
- It is necessary to have a laptop or computer with a webcam and a stable internet connection to take our online coding classes.
- To take any of the Data Science coding courses, the student needs to have knowledge of core Python programming concepts.
- For the 3D Animation and Game Design course and the Space Tech course for Age group 12-15 years, please go through Roblox hardware and OS requirements as mentioned here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do you offer a free demo class?
A: Yes. We offer one free demo class. You can book the free class from the booking link.
2. Can I choose my own days and timings for the coding classes?
A: Yes. The days and timings of the coding classes are flexible. You can select any time and any day that suits your timetable.
3. How do I know if a student can understand the coding course easily?
A: The teachers assess the level of the student in the demo class and then will give the suggestion of whether to go ahead with the online coding courses.
4. Is there any certificate given on completion of the online coding course?
A: The student will get a certificate after completion of the coding course.
5. What do you require for learning coding from PurpleTutor?
A: It is necessary to have a laptop or computer with a webcam and a stable internet connection. For all the courses, there are no coding prerequisites required except for the Data Science coding courses. For these, the student needs to have knowledge of core Python programming concepts.
For the 3D Animation and Game Design course and the Space Tech coding courses for Age group 12-15 years, please go through Roblox hardware and OS requirements as mentioned here.
6. Do you have assessments during the coding course?
A. Yes, we assess the student periodically during the progress of the coding classes and give feedback on the student’s performance.