Significance of Class 10 Math
Class 10 is a crucial year in the academic life of students, in many education systems around the world, and hence class 10 maths become very important. Class 10 board exams or their equivalent are often the first major standardized exams students take. The results of these exams can have a significant impact on their future academic and career prospects, as these exams are used as a qualifying exam for admission to higher secondary or pre-university courses. Additionally, the marks obtained in these exams can also determine the qualification for scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial support.
In light of this, Class 10 Math becomes a vitally important subject. Mathematics is a high-scoring subject, and students can enhance their overall performance, by excelling in their Class 10 Math exam.
What is the Class 10 Math content?
The specific content of Class 10 Math varies depending on the education system and curriculum followed. Here are the common topics covered in Class 10 Math:
- Real Numbers: Euclid’s division lemma, fundamental theorem of arithmetic, irrational numbers, rationalizing the denominator.
- Ratios, Rates, and Proportions: Working with ratios and equivalent ratios, solving problems on proportion. Finding rates and unit prices.
- Indices: Understanding exponents and performing arithmetic operations using exponents.
- Polynomials: Zeros of a polynomial, relationship between zeros and coefficients, division algorithm for polynomials.
- Pair of Linear Equations in Two Variables: Pair of linear equations in two variables and graphical method of their solution, algebraic methods of solving a pair of linear equations, elimination method, substitution method.
- Quadratic Equations: Standard form of a quadratic equation, roots of a quadratic equation, the relationship between roots and coefficients, quadratic formula, nature of roots.
- Sequences: AP, GP, and HP, nth term, the sum of the first n terms of a series
- Triangles: Similar triangles, criteria for similarity of triangles, basic proportionality theorem, Pythagoras theorem, the converse of Pythagoras theorem.
- Coordinate Geometry: Distance formula, section formula, area of a triangle.
- Trigonometry: Introduction to Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, trigonometric identities, heights, and distances.
- Circles: Tangent to a circle, number of tangents from a point on a circle, chords of a circle, the angle subtended by an arc at a point.
- Constructions: Division of a line segment, construction of tangent to a circle, construction of triangles and quadrilaterals.
- Mensuration: Area and perimeter of 2D figures. Surface area and volume of solids.
- Statistics: Measures of central tendency – mean, median, and mode. Measures of dispersion – Variation and standard deviation, Graphical representation of data through histograms and ogive curves.
The best way to learn Class 10 Math
We know that learning Math is a cumulative process. The concepts absorbed by school students in the beginner and intermediate stages of learning Math, from grades 1 to 9, build the foundation for Class 10 Math.
So often, it is found that Class 10 Math students make errors when applying certain concepts, learned in the lower grades. This is because they are hazy on the fundamentals. The problem lies in the lack of understanding. Mathematics is not just about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms – it is about understanding.
The Class 10 Math content needs to be covered in a two-fold way: learning and understanding new concepts and deepening the understanding of the basic concepts needed to learn these. It is only then that the student will have conceptual clarity and the confidence and ability to solve diverse problems related to a topic.
For example – In Class 10, students learn about Quadratic Equations, which are equations in which the variables are raised to the power of two. To solve Quadratic Equations, students use a variety of techniques such as factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula.
However, the fundamental principles of Algebra learned in earlier grades, such as the distributive property, simplification of expressions, and solving linear equations, are essential for solving Quadratic Equations. Without a solid foundation in Algebra, students may find it challenging to understand and solve Quadratic Equations effectively.
This is why it becomes essential for a Math course to briefly review the basic concepts as well. A comprehensive Class 10 Math course will ensure students understand the basics well before progressing to new complex topics. This is where we at PurpleTutor can help students of Class 10 Math.
What is PurpleTutor and how can it help students prepare for Class 10 Math?
PurpleTutor is an online learning platform that conducts tutoring sessions for multiple courses in Math and Coding. PurpleTutor provides comprehensive courses and resources to help students prepare for Class 10 Math. We offer a personalized learning experience to students with features like interactive online sessions, practice quizzes, and assessments.
Some ways in which PurpleTutor can help students prepare for Class 10 Math are:
Comprehensive Coverage: PurpleTutor covers the entire Class 10 Math syllabus, including all the topics mentioned earlier. It provides detailed explanations, examples, and practice exercises to help students understand each concept thoroughly.
Interactive Online Sessions: PurpleTutor’s online sessions are interactive and engaging, conducted by expert and dedicated tutors. The tutors explain each concept in a simple and easy-to-understand manner, making it easier for students to grasp difficult concepts.
Practice Exercises and Quizzes: PurpleTutor provides a wide range of practice exercises and quizzes for each topic, helping students build confidence and improve their Math skills. The platform also provides instant feedback on each exercise, allowing students to identify their mistakes and correct them.
Virtual Math Manipulatives and Activities – The learning of abstract complex concepts becomes easier for students when they experiment and practice with the online math manipulatives as demonstrated by their tutor in the sessions.
24/7 Access: PurpleTutor is accessible 24/7, allowing students to learn Math at their own pace and convenience. This makes it ideal for students who have busy schedules and cannot attend regular classes.
Overall, PurpleTutor is an excellent resource for students preparing for Class 10 Math.
Detailed Course Content and Duration
You can explore the detailed content of our Class 10 Math courses here :
|Grade 10-Math-India (CBSE and ICSE)||150 hours||View Details|
|Grade 10-Math-UK (IGCSE)||200 hours||View Details|
|Grade 10-Math-US (CCSS)||200 hours||View Details|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the topics in class 10 Math?
A. The topics are Real Numbers, Polynomials, Pair of Linear Equations in Two Variables, Quadratic Equations, Sequences, Triangles, Coordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, Applications of Trigonometry, Circles, Mensuration, Relations and Functions, Vectors, Statistics, and Probability.
2. Is Class 10 Math Easy?
A. Class 10 Math usually involves a lot of problem-solving and application of concepts to real-world situations. This can be challenging for some students, as they need to be able to apply their Math knowledge to a variety of contexts and scenarios. However, with practice and proper guidance such as PurpleTutor’s online courses, Class 10 Math can be mastered.
3. Will I get personal attention in the Math online classes?
A. Yes, our online batches are limited to one student only. So, you will get the complete attention of the tutor.
4. Will I get enough practice in the Math online classes?
A. PurpleTutor provides plenty of worksheets and assignments on all course topics in addition to textbook exercises. So, yes, you will get sufficient practice.
5. Which international textbooks should I refer to for Class 10 Math?
A. The international textbooks that you should refer to for Class 10 Math will depend on the curriculum you are studying. Here are some popular international textbooks that cover the Class 10 Math syllabus:
- Mathematics for Cambridge IGCSE: Core and Extended, Second Edition by David Rayner (Cambridge International Examinations)
- MathLinks 10 by McGraw-Hill Education (International Baccalaureate)
- Mathematics: A Complete Course with MyMathLab Global, 2nd Edition by Raymond Toolsie (Pearson International)
- Oxford International Math for the Middle Years: Course 4 by David Capewell, Ian Bettison, and Mala Kumar (Oxford University Press)
6. Do you conduct tests and mock exams?
A. At the end of every topic, an assessment is done of the student’s understanding of the concepts.
7. Will taking online classes for class 10 Math be better than in-person Math coaching classes?
A. The choice between online classes and in-person coaching classes depends on your personal preferences, learning style, and availability. You may also want to consider factors such as the quality of the teaching, the level of support provided, and the cost of the classes when making your decision.
8. What is the prerequisite for enrolling in the class 10 Math online course?
A. Before enrolling in a Class 10 Math online course, it is recommended that students have completed Class 9 Math and have a good grasp of the following topics: Real Numbers, Polynomials, Linear Equations in Two Variables, Quadrilaterals, Triangles, and Coordinate Geometry.